Rad People Who Ride: Scott Felter & Porcelain Rocket
16 September, 2013
Scott Felter loves to ride and his insatiable thirst for exploration and adventure has allowed him to turn passion into profession. He makes remarkable bags and gear for all - from the everyday commuter to the expedition cyclotourist, Scott's got a solution for your needs with an emphasis on functionality, fine craftsmanship, and scant weights. His bikepacking bags are unsurpassed - they are pieces of stand alone art while maintaining rugged, no-nonsense durability and a well thought out layout. One can immediately see that Scott has put plenty of time into testing out their design through his own quests and endeavors. Everything just makes sense and is where you would want it to be – straps, zippers, interface, it all secures together in a reassuring manner of security and quality.
Enough about the bags already! Scott is being featured not just because of his perfected art and mastery but because of his true passion for singletrack and the unknown. Right now, as I write this, he's on a multi-week journey through Australia, finding his own adventure. He's one of those true people where you can hear the passion behind each word - as though he doesn't even need describe it, you already know it's there, you can borderline sense it. People like Scott following his dreams and paving the way for others to find their own are an inspiration to say the least. Care to wander, find the singletrack less traveled, or link together that faraway land you've always wanted to see? Contact Scott to get your bike dialed with impeccable bags to carry the goods to get you there and back here. Enjoy some fun responses and pictures of his Australia trip, workshop, and artistry.
- Scott Felter aka Porcelain Rocket
Home Shop and City:
- BikeBike in Calgary, Alberta. Sean and Nadia are SO rad.
Favorite WTB or Freedom product:
- Weirwolf 29er tires without question. Best bikepacking tire EVER. These were setting up ghetto-tubeless, way before the ghetto was cool.
Scott's beautiful Hunter ready for adventure with Weirwolf 29" tires and some awesome Porcelain Rocket bags
- Oh man...I have no idea. Do I have to pick one? I’d say anything in Kananaskis Country, Alberta. Epic long rides in the high alpine. Tons of techy climbing and rewarding descents. What else is there?
What else is there, there's sandy double track and Australia, pictured above, where Scott is exploring.
Background, how’d you get into riding, what kept you going with it?
- I started out road racing in New Orleans when I was in high school, and then started entering some “mountain bike” races in Northern Mississippi. That was it. I never raced a road bike again…carbon what?
Tube or Tubeless, why?
- Tubeless. It’s all about 18 psi.
Yet another argument for tubeless
3 most important things to bring with you on a ride?
- 1 beer
- 2oz. Stan’s
- 300 calories.
No room for error - you have to pack wisely when this is the horizon you're facing.
Craziest thing you’ve seen or witnessed on a ride?
- Probably watching my buddy Kevin high-speed faceplant a tree on his first test ride on a Jeff Jones…and then he just laid there for what seemed like whole minutes, not making a sound. After some fun with rubbing alcohol and a trip to the ER for some concussion quizzes, he’s all good. All’s well that ends well…right? That was some gnarly meatface, for sure. Kevin’s one hell of a mountain biker.
Wireless connectivity, Australian Outback style.
Most important lesson to teach the groms?
- Don’t be a quitter. Nobody likes having to deal with the guy who’s halfway to wherever and wants to quit. And it’s not ALWAYS a race. Sometimes it’s great to be the back o’ the pack.
Halfway to nowhere - Scott gets out there. Australia wanderings aren't to be taken lightly.
Left my wallet in… (fill it in):
- Northern New Mexico…I gotta get it, gotta get it.
Anything you’d like to plug, courtesy of WTB’s blog?
- Well…I run a little sweatshop. www.porcelainrocket.com
Porcelain Rocket World HQ, Calgary AB
Top notch security - this is the scene of the crime, where dreams become reality.
And these are just a few people who I care about, and I think are rad:
Finished product, pinwheel of perfection - care for a seat bag? Choose one from a kaleidoscope of color options.